Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Floating Garden of Powell Lake

This time of year I start working in my vegetable garden. It's unique as gardens go. It's a floating garden. Our friend John designed and built it for me to float alongside our cabin on Powell Lake in Coastal BC.

Cedar logs were lashed together to create the float. Because dirt is heavy, several 55 gallon blue barrels were strategically placed underneath and filled with air to provide extra buoyancy. Then four raised beds were constructed and placed on top. Each bed is four feet wide and ten feet long. Because we live in Coastal BC, our winters are fairly mild. My strawberries, asparagus and herbs have always survived through the snow and frost. Here is my garden just after spring planting.

Summer is the prime season for my garden. Even though the space is limited, I have potatoes, onions, carrots, radishes, spinach, zucchini and several types of lettuce. This is in addition to my annual asparagus, strawberries and herbs. Each year I rotate my crops and replenish my soil, but I have to be very careful to protect the water on which it floats. It also serves as our drinking water.

Last year I was honored to have my garden highlighted on Sunset Magazine's website. Click here to see it for yourself.

Thank you for taking a walk through my garden. While you're here, I invite you to click on my gardening link to see more. -- Margy

13 comments:

  1. Gerat photos. Congrats on having your garden in a magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your garden. It should be an inspiration to all of us with dirty fingernails.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Floating garden! What a wonderful idea. Very geat and interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating post! I want to know about your lifestyle, so I'll be back to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful photos and a great G!! My favorite are the first one:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great G post! Your garden is so nice and special with lot`s of goodies. :)
    I can`t wait for the season to begin. ;)
    Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you to everyone for coming to see my first ABC Wednesday post. Starting with "G is for Garden" was a great one for me. I'll have to start thinking "hard" for something for "H." - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  8. How unique. I've never seen a garden quite like that. Now that is aquaculture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:16 PM

    Hi Margy, Love your "G" garden.
    "H" shouldn't be to hard for you.Home is where the heart is.
    Have a good visit at the cabin with your Mom and Kitty. ~Betty~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous6:50 AM

    That is too cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never seen a garden like this. Love the rabbit and owl.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wonder of wonders! ingenious idea!

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy