Saturday, September 10, 2011

Barn Swallow Renovations

Each summer we eagerly await the Barn Swallows who choose to raise their families under the peak of our roof. And I say families literally. Bert and his Lovely Lady arrive each year in early June.

After a feeding frenzy on the newly hatched bugs, Bert and his Lovely Lady settle down to rebuild the remnants of their nest from the last year. Of course, we're not sure, but we believe the same pair returns each year.

Both parents work on the nest, and tend their eggs and brood in tandem. In July, the fledglings are ready to leave the nest, and Mom and Bert waste no time rebuilding it to get one more batch of babies in before they have to leave for their winter home somewhere in Central or South America. Seems like there is no rest for the wicked, or mating Barn Swallows alike.

Over the years I've written quite a bit about or Barn Swallows. Here are a few quick links.

Barn Swallows Come to Roost
And Then There Were None
Barn Swallow Update
Three's A Charm
Helping Hands
Avian Trampoline
Now that they've come and gone again for another year, we hope they (or another pair) will return come June. -- Margy

8 comments:

  1. Love your barn swallow photos, great captures. I see I'm not the only one to name their resident birds :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet they eat tons of bugs! I love to watch them fly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know they raise 2 batches of birdies per summer. Very impressive. I bet it is the same pair. Very nice photos indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up with barn swallows everywhere. I miss seeing them. Great mosquito eaters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish we had them here. Far too many mosquitos, and, besides, they're so cute.
    — K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two lots of babies, lovely. Our swallows only produced one xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to have these cuties in my yard. Lucky you to have them come back to the nest each year. Great shots. I hope you have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, alas, no barn, no swallows. Happy to share yours!

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy