Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Log Booms

Booms of logs protect our floating cabin on Powell Lake. The log booms cut the wave action from passing boats and wind generated waves. Powell Lake is large and deep, so substantial waves can build during heavy winds. Fortunately, we are protected in the Hole in the Wall, but not completely. We have log booms along the front and side of our water lease area. A 30 metre (100 foot) rock wall serves as protection on our shore side.

Our boom is constructed from logs that have been floating in the lake for years. They are anchored to shore and the lake bottom to hold them in place. Sometimes the connections need fixing. Here's our good friend John helping us move a log back into place.

The sturdiest connection between logs is called a boom chain. They are the chains used by loggers to hold together the large booms of logs pulled to market by tugs.

We have a few of those chains in critical positions.  The rest of the logs are tied together with heavy rope and steel staples. Steel cables and shackles attach the booms to the rock wall and lake bottom anchors. -- Margy

15 comments:

  1. There is something about log booms that has always attracted me, although I can't explain why. When I was young, I always wanted to try walking a boom, but the sensible half of my brain always spoke up.
    Whew!
    I found Powell Lake on Google Maps (satellite view) and can see Goat Island, but am wondering exactly where Hole in the Wall is in relation to the island. I see what could be many floating homes or houseboats in various areas. It sure looks fascinating.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved seeing the log booms from the train as we went through BC.
    I was just reading Wayne's book Cabin Number 5 today, and learned about the yellow cedar under your float cabin. Interesting reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kay - Hole in the Wall is across from the south end of Goat Island just past the narrows. That's called First Narrows. There is a Second Narrows at the north end of Goat Island as the lake winds its way around.

    Crafty - Glad you are enjoying the book. Cedar is such hardy wood it has lots of uses.

    Margy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous shots, especially the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:46 PM

    I have seen Booms in Washington state but never knew anything more about them...until today! Thanks for sharing .
    This round of ABC Wednesday is turning out to be very informative.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely take on the theme!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously interesting stuff.

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a wonderful place, would love to see this in person, thanks for the info.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's interesting about the booms, and that Lake Powell is big enough and deep enough to get waves of a size that call for booms! But it's the scenic backdrop in your photos that I really love! What a gorgeous and very special place to call home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for adding to my knowledge (about log booms)!
    what a beautiful and serene area

    ReplyDelete
  11. Margy, thank you for commenting on my post. I do not know what booms are? I tried to figure out the meaning in French, are they used as a barrier, or a dam? Anyway I love your blog and I find the land shown in your photos fabulous. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great choice for our B week. Very educational, too.

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am fascinated by booms as well, and enjoyed the photos and information in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks everyone for stopping by and commenting on my ABC Wednesday post.

    Marie - Booms are logs connected together, mostly used to corral other lots so they can be towed on the water. The second to last picture shows a boom of logs ready to go to market. The booms around our cabin are used as you said, a barrier to protect us from waves and boat wakes. Thanks for asking.

    Margy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never heard of log booms, but it certainly makes sense! Thanks for sharing. And thanks for the intro to the ABC Wednesday blog, I didn't know about that either! I have to check it out:)

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy