Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Canning: Garlic and Chili Pickled Green Beans

I have to be honest. I'm not expert at canning. I've made jams, preserved berries, and a few pickles. I found this recipe in a magazine, but altered it to make a single pint of refrigerator pickles, just enough for Wayne and I to enjoy as a special treat.

Refrigerator Garlic and Chili 
Pickled Green Beans
Yields one pint

3/4 cup cider vinegar
2/3 cup water
1 and 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
1/3 tablespoon sugar
1 large clove garlic
1 dried hot chili pepper
Sprinkle of dried dill
About 1/2 pound green beans

Heat water in a canner or tall pot to boiling. Sterilize canning jar, ring and seal.

Heat vinegar, water, salt, and sugar together until boiling.

Put a clove of garlic, chili pepper, and a sprinkle of dill in the bottom of a sterilized one-pint canning jar. Wash, trim, and pack raw green beans tightly into the jar leaving a 3/4" space open below the rim.

Pour the hot liquid over the beans leaving 1/2” headspace at the top. Put on canning lid and tighten ring firmly.

Process the jar for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath. Keep the jar off the bottom of the pot, and make sure the boiling water covers the top. Remove carefully and let cool. Store in the fridge for at least one week to allow the flavours to blend.

Once opened, the jar will keep for one month in the fridge if the hot and tangy Garlic and Chili Pickled Green Beans last that long.

If you prefer to pickle a large batch, just make sure all safe canning processes are followed. -- Margy

3 comments:

  1. You are an inspiration.
    BUT I think I'm changing my veggie garden into an ornamental this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look good! I would like to learn how to can vegies and fruit one of these days. Been busy make all kinds of things with Russet apples the last two days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer - Both take work. I guess I would rather eat the fruits of my labor (if the woodrat leaves me enough).

    Stephanie - I love fresh apples. I would love a tree, but I don't want to attract any bears.

    Margy

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy